Friday, December 7, 2012

A fun fabric flower!

This is my first ever tutorial! I hope it makes sense!

I saw a very cool fabric flower online, but the tutorial was $5.00 and I couldn't justify spending the money on it (even though my mind was really trying, I was even grasping at non-existent straws!)
So I decided to see if I could somehow come close. Here is what I came up with!


Do you want to make one?
Give it a shot, it's not too hard!

This Tutorial makes a flower that is about 3 inches across. To make it bigger or smaller, change the size of the fabric squares.

What you need:
  • Scrap fabric - I used a discarded t-shirt, but I think next time I would use something a little stiffer so it will keep shape better.
  • Scrap piece of felt
  • A button 3/4 in or bigger
  • Hot glue gun - I used the cool temp kind. Up side- no burnt fingers, Down side- you have to work quick!
  • Headband, alligator clip, or whatever you are attaching it to.
  • Optional- needle and thread (to make it more durable) 


First, cut 8 - 2 1/2 inch squares out of your material and a 2 1/2 inch circle out of felt (don't worry it doesn't need to be perfect- you will trim it later!) 



Then, fold your square in half, corner to corner, making a triangle

Fold in half again
Then fold the sides down 
which makes a sort-of squished M shape
This is what the top of the petal looks like right now
Turn the piece so that it is a W and glue in between each section, but only on the tip

pinch together

flip over again with glue on the bottom (into a V) 

Fold one side down

then the other

and glue together.
I also added a dot of glue between the layers where my fingers are after glueing down the length.


Flip it over and this is what your petal looks like!
well actually,  it probably looks more like this, but you can reshape it

Now make the rest of the petals....

Start glueing the petals together at the tips.
Be careful not to get too much glue on the top, you can cover some with the button but not a lot. 

Keep going until you finish the flower shape.

This is what the back looks like, add little bits of glue to secure your petal shapes. 

Add a line of glue on each petal (one at a time) and secure to the felt circle.

Very carefully trim your felt so it isn't seen when looking at the front of the flower.
Glue on a button.
Pick what you want to attach it to.
I attached mine to a hair clip, which I got at Jo-ann's
And you have a cute hair clip!
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment